WATKINS / WEM AMPLIFIERS

THE WEM CLUBMAN

 

c1964 WEM Clubman, courtesy of Jerry Blakemore, Essex, England

The Clubman was probably the second Watkins amp to be produced circa 1956, a less powerful version of the Westminster in a near-identical cabinet with no tremolo and a single EL84 giving it a power rating of 6W. Very early versions - one is shown below - were in a plain grey covering, followed by maroon & cream and then turquoise & cream versions. Early control panels were black, later ones silver. Elac speakers were usually fitted.

In 1963/64, when Watkins morphed into Wem, the Clubman Mk II acquired a new livery - black cabinet, silver control panel and a decorative aluminium plate covering the front of the amp. It was seemingly a smaller version of the Custom 15, itself a descendant of the Scout. Examples are rarely found today. In the late 60s it reverted to being a plain-looking solid-state model with tremolo During the early 1970's, it got it's valves back again and red/gold diamond pattern on black grill cloth, a very attractive and value-for-money little practice amp. It remained in production with some cosmetic changes until the late 70s.

 

 


 

Return to the WATKINS AMPLIFIER INDEX PAGE